Smoked Mackerel Bruschetta Serves 6
- 225g (8oz) peppered ‘ready to eat’ smoked mackerel fillets, defrosted, skinned and flaked
- 1 340g (12oz) packet fresh or frozen garlic bread slices
- 2 red peppers
- 2 yellow peppers
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Parmesan cheese shavings, to garnish
- Preheat the grill
- Grill the peppers, turning frequently until the skin turns black. Once blackened, place in a plastic food bag and secure the top. The steam from the peppers will make it easier to remove the skin.
- Cook the garlic bread according to the packet instructions.
- Remove the skin from the peppers, discarding the stalk and seeds. Cut into long thin strips.
- Place the mackerel into a bowl and stir in the peppers.
- Top each piece of garlic bread with strips of pepper and flakes of mackerel. Drizzle with olive oil, season and top with Parmesan.
- Serve as a starter or snack.
NUTRITIONAL VALUES PER PORTION (APPROX) 306 Kilocalories; 10g Protein; 20g Fat; 21g Carbohydrate; 1g Fibre.
Tip: This recipe is ideal for friends and family to indulge in as the barbecue is beginning to fire up. Choose from a selection of ‘ready to eat’ plain, peppered or garlic flavoured smoked mackerel fillets. If time is limited, drain a jar of roasted pepper antipasti for topping - in place of fresh peppers.