Organic Sea Trout Fillets with Basil & Celeriac Main course for 4
- 4 200g (7oz) organic sea trout fillets
- 100g (4oz) unsalted butter
- 175g (6oz) celeriac, peeled & cut into matchsticks
- ½ medium onion, finely chopped
- 120ml (4 fl oz) Vermouth or Noilly Prat
- 600ml (1 pint) chicken stock
- 6 basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
Melt the butter in a heavy based pan, big enough for the fillets to be cooked side by side without overlapping too much. Add the celeriac and onion and soften for 2 minutes. Add the Vermouth and half the chicken stock and simmer gently, covered, for about 10 minutes, then remove the lid.
- Season the fillets with salt and white pepper and place them in the pan on top of the vegetables. Pour in the rest of the chicken stock and sprinkle all but a final pinch of the basil over the top of the fish. Cover and braise very gently until the fish has just cooked.
- Remove the sea trout from the pan and keep warm on a serving dish. Concentrate the flavour of the braised vegetables by turning the heat to high and boiling rapidly to reduce the volume by about half. Pour the contents of the pan around the fillets and garnish with the remaining basil.
- Serve with some fine beans and boiled potatoes.