Deep-fried Skate with Thai Mayo Main course for 4
- 4 x 250g (9oz) skate wings
- sunflower oil for deep-frying
- tempura batter mix (available at any good supermarket)
- for the Thai mayo:
- 1 lemongrass stalk, outer leaves removed and the core finely chopped
- 4 tbsp coriander, chopped
- 2.5cm (1 in) fresh root ginger, finely grated
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- finely grated zest of 1 lime
- 1 green chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 300ml (10 fl oz) mayonnaise (preferably home-made)
For the Thai mayo, simply stir all the ingredients into the mayonnaise and put in the fridge until needed.
Trim away the frill from the edges of the skate wings with kitchen scissors and then sprinkle lightly on both sides with a little salt.
Heat some oil for deep-frying to 190˚C/375˚F. dip the skate wings into the batter and fry for 1 or 2 at a time for 4-5 minutes, until crisp and golden brown. Place on a tray lined with plenty of kitchen paper and keep warm in a low oven while you cook the remaining skate. Serve immediately, garnish with the lime wedges and a small bunch of coriander sprigs, accompanied by the Thai mayo and maybe some roughly cut chips.