Thai Mussel and Noodle Soup Serves 4
- 1kg (2lb) Bantry Bay Mussels, defrosted and cleaned
- 1 15ml spoon (1 tbsp) sunflower oil
- 5cm (2”) piece fresh root ginger, grated
- 1 fresh red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 115g (4oz) shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 3 15ml spoon (3 tbsp) Thai green curry paste
- 750ml (1and a half pints) fish or chicken stock
- sea salt
- 2 15ml spoon (2 tbsp) lime juice
- 2 15ml spoon (2 tbsp) fish sauce or nam pla
- 200g (7oz) pak choi, shredded
- 255g (9oz) medium noodles, cooked and drained
- 2 15ml spoon (2 tbsp) fresh chopped coriander
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the ginger, chilli and spring onion for one minute.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Stir in the curry paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in the fish stock and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and season.
- Carefully add the mussels, cover and cook for 2-3 minutes, until opened, discard any that do not.
- Stir through the remaining ingredients until the noodles are heated through.
- Garnish with coriander and serve.
Recipe kindly donated by The Seafish Industry