Mussel and Saffron Pilaff Serves 2
- 455g (1lb) Bantry Bay mussels, defrosted
- 1 large pinch saffron strands
- 2 15ml spoon (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 125g (4 and a half oz) long grain rice
- 300ml (10 fl oz) vegetable or fish stock
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 30g (1oz) dried currants or sultanas
- lemon wedges to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F,Gas Mark 5
- Soak the saffron threads in 3 x 15ml spoon (3 tablespoons) boiling water
for 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in an ovenproof casserole dish and add the onion and garlic.
Cook until soft.
- Stir in the rice. Add the stock, saffron with liquid and bay leaf. Season and
bring to the boil. Cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Add the mussels, cover and return to the oven. Cook for a further 10 minutes
until the mussels are opened. Discard any mussels that remain closed after
cooking. Stir in the dried currants or sultanas.
- Garnish with lemon wedge and Serve.