Mussel and Bacon Soup Serves 4
- 670-900g (1 and a half - 2 lb) Bantry Bay mussels, defrosted
- 15g (half an oz) butter or margarine
- 4 rashers smoked bacon, rind removed and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 200g can chopped tomatoes
- 750ml (one and a half pints) fish or vegetable stock
- 1 5ml spoon (1 teasp) fresh chopped basil
- freshly milled black pepper
- lemon and parsley to garnish
- Melt the butter or margarine in a pan. Add the bacon and onion and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the celery, tomatoes, stock and basil. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the prepared mussels, cover and cook for a further 5 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally, until all the mussels have opened. (Discard any that do not open).
- Season with black pepper, garnish with lemon and parsley and serve with slices of warm crusty bread.
NUTRITIONAL VALUES PER PORTION (APPROX) 224 Kilocalories;
30g Protein; 13g Fat; 3g Carbohydrate; 1g Fibre.
Recipe kindly donated by The Seafish Industry