Fisherman's Bonfire Surprise Serves 6-8
- 455g (1 lb) hake fillets, defrosted, skinned and cubed
- 115g (4 oz) cooked peeled prawns, defrosted
- 600ml (1 pint) fish or chicken stock
- 2 small pieces root ginger, peeled and crushed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 115g (4 oz) wild or plain long grain rice or a mixture of the two
- 0.5 5 ml spoon (half a teasp) ground ginger
- 85g (3 oz) butter, melted
- 6 sheets filo pastry
- 55g (2 oz) button mushrooms, sliced
- 55g (2 oz) whole green beans, chopped
- parsley, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 190°C / 375°F, Gas Mark 5
- Place the stock, ginger, onion and rice into a saucepan and boil until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Grease a 1.2 litre (2 pints) heatproof pudding basin.
- Blend the ground ginger into the butter or margarine and brush each sheet of filo pastry with the mixture. Line the pudding basin with the pastry, one sheet at a time. Keep plenty of pastry over the edges to form a lid.
- Add fish, mushrooms, prawns and beans to the rice and fill the lined basin with the mixture.
- Fold over the pastry edges to form a lid. Brush with a little margarine or butter and bake in the oven for 50 minutes.
- Turn out onto a heatproof serving dish and return to the oven for 10 minutes until golden brown and crisp.
- Garnish and serve hot or cold cut into slices with crisp green salad.