Fish Pilaff with Sunflower Seeds Serves 4
- 455g (1lb) plaice fillets, defrosted, skinned and cut into strips
- 30g (1oz) butter or margarine
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 225g (8oz) long grain brown rice
- pinch turmeric or saffron threads
- 750ml (30 fl oz) vegetable stock
- 115g (4oz) button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 courgette, thinly sliced
- 1 small red pepper, cut into strips
- 0.5 x 5ml spoon (half a teasp) ground cinnamon
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 55g (2oz) sunflower seeds
- Melt the butter in a large pan. Cook the onion until soft and transparent. Stir in the rice, turmeric and half the stock. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more stock as necessary.
- Stir in the mushrooms, courgette, and pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes until slightly softened and stock is almost absorbed.
- Stir in the fish, cinnamon and seasonings. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with sunflower seeds and serve immediately.