Fish Pie Serves 4
- 670g (1lb 8oz) haddock or cod fillets, defrosted, skinned
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 115g (4 oz) button mushrooms, sliced
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 15ml spoon (1 tbsp) fresh chopped parsley
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- pinch of ground mace
- 200g (7 oz) ready prepared flaky or puff pastry
- 1 beaten egg, to glaze
- For the sauce:
- 30g (1 oz) butter
- 30g (1 oz) flour
- 300ml (10 fl oz) milk
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F, Gas Mark 6
- Place the fish, tomatoes and mushrooms into an ovenproof dish. Sprinkle with lemon juice and parsley.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and stir in the flour. Add the milk gradually, stirring over a gentle heat until the sauce thickens. Season with the salt, pepper and mace. Alternatively, make up the packet sauce according to the instructions and season.
- Pour the sauce over the fish. Roll out the pastry to a little larger than the pie dish. Cut off a thin strip and press round the rim of the dish using a little water to seal. Brush the top of the strip with water.
- Lift the remaining pastry and cover the dish. Press edges together to seal and cut away any surplus with a sharp knife. Brush with beaten egg and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown.
- Serve with broccoli and new potatoes.
NUTRITIONAL VALUES PER PORTION (APPROX): 453 Kilocalories;
39g Protein; 21g Fat; 30g Carbohydrate; 3g Fibre.