Fish Jalousie Serves 6-8
- 670g (1lb 8 oz) hake fillets, defrosted, skinned and cubed
- 340g (12 oz) puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- 600ml (1 pint) milk
- 40g (1 and a half oz) butter or margarine
- 40g (1and a half oz) plain flour
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 15ml spoon (4 tbsp) anchovy essence
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- lemon and cucumber slices, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 220°C / 425°F, Gas Mark 7
- Divide the pastry in two. Roll each half into a 20 x 30cm (7" x 10") oblong. Place one oblong on a baking sheet and prick with a fork.
- Fold the remaining oblong in half lengthways and make a series of diagonal cuts to within 1cm (0.5") of the outer edge. Place on a baking sheet and open out to give a herring bone effect.
- Brush both pieces of pastry with beaten egg and bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, poach the fish in the milk for 5 minutes, drain and reserve cooking liquor.
- Melt the butter or margarine in the pan and sauté the onion, stir in the flour, cook for 1 minute, gradually stir in the reserved cooking liquor and heat until sauce is thickened and smooth.
- Stir in the anchovy essence, cooked fish and seasoning.
- Use the filling to sandwich together the two pastry halves, garnish with lemon and cucumber slices.
- Serve with a mixed leaf salad.
Recipe kindly donated by The Seafish Industry