Festive Stuffed Mussels Serves 2 - 4
- 455g (1lb) mussels, cleaned
- 150ml (5 fl oz) red wine
- 70g (2 and a half oz) fresh breadcrumbs
- 55g (2oz) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 small clove garlic, chopped
- 4 cherry tomatoes, chopped
- rind and juice of half a lemon
- half a beaten egg
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
Tip: If you have any remaining Stilton cheese from Christmas day, substitute for the Parmesan cheese.
- Place the wine in a large pan. Add the mussels, cover and steam for 4-5 minutes until the mussels have opened. Drain and set aside to cook. Discard any that remain closed when cooked.
- In a large bowl mix together the breadcrumbs, cheese, garlic, tomatoes, lemon and egg. Season.
- Discard the top shell of each mussel and place the mussels onto a large baking sheet.
- Spoon over the mussel mixture, place under a moderate grill and cook for 5 minutes until the breadcrumbs are crispy.
- Serve immediately on a bed of salad leaves.
Recipe kindly donated by The Seafish Industry