Chunky Smoked Haddock Chowder Serves 6
- 455g (1lb) smoked haddock, defrosted, skinned and cubed
- 30g (1oz) slightly salted butter
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 4 rashers bacon, chopped
- 750ml ( 1 1/2 half pnts) vegetable stock
- 455g (1lb) broccoli
- 455g (1lb) small white turnip or swede, peeled and cubed
- 150ml (5 fl oz) low fat crème fraîche
- 1 small baguette, sliced
- 2 5ml spn (2 teasp) Dijon mustard
- 115g (4oz) Gruyere cheese, grated
- Heat the butter and fry the shallots and bacon. Add the stock, broccoli and turnip or swede. Cook for 10 minutes or until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the fish and cook for a further 5 minutes. Stir in the créme fraîche and simmer for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Spread the sliced bread with the mustard and top with the cheese. Cook under a hot preheated grill for 3-4 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling.
- Serve the chowder with a few slices of the bread.
Recipe kindly donated by The Seafish Industry