Cajun Mackerel Serves 4
- 4 whole mackerel, defrosted and cleaned
- 3 5ml spoon (3 teasp) coriander seeds
- 3 5ml spoon (3 teasp) allspice berries
- 3 5ml spoon (3 teasp) green peppercorns
- 3 5ml spoon (3 teasp) cumin seeds
- 3 15ml spoon (3 tbsp) white wine vinegar
- 1-2 drops of Tabasco sauce
- 1-2 drops of Worcestershire sauce
- 55g (2oz) butter or margarine
- chilli flowers, lime or lemon slices, to garnish
- Grind the spices using a pestle and mortar or place in a plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin.
- Mix the vinegar, Tabasco, bitters and Worcestershire sauce together in a small bowl and stir in the crushed spices.
- Make 3 diagonal cuts on one side of the fish and brush with the spice mixture. Leave to marinate in a cool place for about 1 hour.
- Melt the butter or margarine in a large shallow pan until sizzling. Fry the mackerel for 5-6 minutes until the spices have turned black. Turn the fish over and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish and serve with hot rolls and a crisp green salad.
Recipe kindly donated by The Seafish Industry