Bouillabaisse Serves 4 -6
- 900g (2lbs) mixed white fish fillets, defrosted, skinned and cubed (e.g. monkfish, red mullet, cod, haddock)
- 170g (6oz) cocktail prawns
- olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 600ml (1 pint) fish or vegetable stock
- 1 large bay leaf
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 1-2 drops Tabasco sauce
- 1 bouquet garni
- pinch of saffron strands
- fresh chopped parsley, to garnish
- Heat the oil and sauté the onion and garlic until soft.
- Stir in the tomatoes, stock, bayleaf, seasoning, Tabasco, bouquet garni and saffron. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the cubes of firm fish e.g. monkfish, huss, conger eel and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the more delicate fish e.g. mullet, cod, haddock and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Stir in the prawns and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove the bouquet garni and the bayleaf.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve with French bread, a continental salad and garlic mayonnaise.
Recipe kindly donated by The Seafish Industry