Blackened Spiced Fish Serves 2
- 2 225-285g (8-10oz) whole red mullet, snapper, or bream, defrosted and cleaned
- 40g (1 and a half oz) unsalted butter
- juice of 1 lemon or lime
- lemon or lime wedges, to garnish
- Spice Mixture
- 1 5ml spoon (1 teasp) chilli or cayenne pepper
- 1 5ml spoon (1 teasp) paprika
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- pinch of dried mixed herbs
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- In a small bowl combine the spice mixture and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a small pan. Remove the froth with a spoon.
- Leave to settle and pour off the yellow liquid. Discard the solids.
- Brush each side of the fish with the clarified butter and coat with the spice mixture.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan until hot. Add any remaining clarified butter. Add the fish and cook on each side for 2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat and cook for a further 10-15 minutes.
- Add the lemon or lime juice and serve immediately with French crusty bread, lime or lemon wedges and a green salad.
Recipe kindly donated by The Seafish Industry