Aromatic Prawns Serves 2
- 340g (12oz) raw tiger prawns, defrosted
- pinch chilli powder
- 1 5ml spoon (1 teasp) fennel seeds
- 3 cloves
- 5 black peppercorns
- 2.5cm (1 inch) cinnamon stick
- 2 15ml spoon (2 tbsp) sunflower oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1.25cm (half an inch) piece root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 1 15ml spoon (1 tbsp) water
- 1 15ml spoon (1 tbsp) white wine vinegar
- 2 5ml spoon (2 teasp) dark brown sugar
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- coriander leaves, to garnish
- Place the chilli powder, fennel seeds, cloves, peppercorns and cinnamon stick into a shallow pan.
- Dry fry for 1-2 minutes to release the flavour. Cool then crush the spices to a powder in a plastic bag using a rolling pin.
- Heat the oil in a shallow pan; cook the garlic, ginger and onion for 2-3 minutes. Add the spices. Cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and water. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the vinegar, sugar, prawns and seasoning. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes or until prawns are pink in colour.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and eat hot with your fingers.
NUTRITIONAL VALUES PER PORTION (APPROX) 346 Kilocalories;
35g Protein; 19g Fat; 13g Carbohydrate; 1g Fibre.
Recipe kindly donated by The Seafish Industry